Welcome to Applicant Advantage Privacy!
Effective on August 1, 2021
We understand that student data privacy is a imperative, so we want to make clear the very basic privacy principles that guide our policies and practices:
- Students are in complete control of what data they make public
We give students control over whether they want to make their profile public to employers, educators, and industry partners or other and what information they share on it. No student data uploaded to Applicant Advantage is ever viewable by any other approved users until a student has chosen to make their profile public.
- Applicant Advantage will never sell personal student data
We have never done it and we never will! Our business model is based on offering valuable tools for our student and employer users that enhance the opportunity discovery process. Your email address and personal data will never be sold to any third party.
We are an opportunity services platform that connects high school students, early college students, educators, employers, and industry partners. The opportunities are learning, internship, pre-apprenticeship, apprenticeship, scholarships and careers for local students and beyond.
What information we collect
We collect personal and non-personal data from you when you use our Services. Personal Data is data that includes a personal identifier like your name, email or address, phone number, IP address or device identifier, or is data that could reasonably be linked back to you. It also may include demographic information, geolocation information, educational information, or commercial information as described below.
You need to have an account to use Applicant Advantage. You can create an account on Applicant Advantage as a student seeking opportunity or as an employer and industry partner looking for exciting new talent. You may also create an account as an educator or school employee or as an invited user.
- Student or candidate data:
We receive personal data about you when you create a Student Account, update your profile, respond to questions or surveys on our website or otherwise use our Site, from our educators, employers, and industry partners and potential from other third-party data sources.
- From you, your account and your profile:
- From employer reviews
We receive any personal information you choose to include in submitted employer reviews. Applicant Advantage collects this information even if the review is not published or made public.
- From third parties
We may receive additional information about you from other schools, or career counseling organizations, or from other sources.
- Usage and log data
When you visit the Site, we log and store your IP Address and technical information about your visit like your browser type and how you progressed through the Site, where you abandoned it, etc. (“Usage Data”). We can use your IP address to determine your general location.
- Mobile data
When you use the Applicant Advantage mobile app, we collect analytic information about your device, such as IP address, OS version, and clickstream.
- Precise location data
For a limited set of features, we allow users to opt-in to our collection of precise location data (GPS data). We only use this information to enable these features, such as displaying your precise location on a map at a career fair. We do not share precise location data with third parties, and we do not combine precise location data with personal information for advertising purposes.
- Educator, Employer and Industry Partner data
When Educators, Employers and Industry Partners create an Applicant Advantage Account, we request contact information, including email address and telephone number, to provide a point of contact for students and administrative staff and which is made available on your public profile. We will not use your phone number to send any commercial or marketing messages not related to your use of Applicant Advantage Services to you without your express consent.
How we use your personal data
We use, process and store your Personal Data to provide the Applicant Advantage Service and to maximize opportunities to connect you with potential employers. This includes:
- Providing services such as allowing you to Follow or sign up for opportunity events or apply directly for opportunities.
- Delivering opportunities and communications from potential opportunity providers by email in accordance with your account settings and communication preferences.
- Allowing you to choose whether your profile is public or private, so potential employers, or others, can find you—or not.
- Allowing you to contact employers and employers to contact you through the Applicant Advantage Service, including by way of messaging, audio and video conferencing, and webinars.
- Personalizing the Service. For example, we may suggest employers to you based on the information in your profile or the demographic information you provide.
- Contacting you about additional Applicant Advantage or Partner services you might be interested in, unless you opt-out by not Following an employers or other party.
- Researching new ways to improve the Applicant Advantage Service.
- Using FERPA protected data only in compliance with the requirements of the statute.
When we may share your personal data
We will only share your personal data under the following circumstances:
- Student data only with your consent. For example, you may choose to Follow a company, share your profile to a specific person, make your profile public for specific opportunities with our Services or choose to apply to an opportunity and we will share your profile information, resume and transcript with the employers you choose. Employers are required to only use Applicant Advantage data to provide opportunity services and to safeguard any personal data they receive. You may also choose to make your profile public to specific audiences to help grow your professional brand.
- With vendors that are contractually engaged to provide us with services, such as cloud service providers, Applicant Advantage related telecommunications services, and other services for maintaining our systems, order fulfillment, email management and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any personal data they receive from us.
- With vendors that are contractually engaged to provide us with services, such as order fulfillment, email management and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any personal data they receive from us.
- With relevant law enforcement bodies if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on us), or governmental or regulatory request, to enforce or apply the Terms of Service, to protect the security or integrity of the Applicant Advantage Service, and/or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Applicant Advantage, its employees, users, or others. If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
As a Site visitor, we place a small piece of software referred to as a “session cookie” on your computer. If you use the Services and create an account, we also use this cookie to recognize you on return visits and expedite the login process. You can remove this and other cookies through your browser preferences menu, though the exact method varies depending on the type of browser you use – but note that you won’t be able to log into our service if your cookies are disabled. If you visit from a mobile device, we may reference your device identifier or other information about where your visit originated.
Our email communications contain web beacons or similar technology which track when the email has been opened or read. This functionality sends the resulting records back to our Service, which may be associated with other information you have provided us.
How to opt-out of email communications
To stop receiving notifications or promotions, please click the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of each email or update your account preferences. To stop specific employer opportunities, please click Following button on the Company Directory.
Storage, security and how to remove your information
We use industry standard technical, administrative and physical controls to protect your data including encrypting it at rest and as it is transferred from you to Applicant Advantage. While we take reasonable precautions against possible security breaches, no website or internet transmission is completely secure and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss or other breach will never occur. In the event of a breach, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify affected individuals in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Do not track signals
We are currently unable to respond to Do Not Track signals that may be sent by some browsers.
De-activating your account or deleting your personal data
You can choose to deactivate your account so that you are no longer viewable on the Service or you can make your account private. You may also request Applicant Advantage Services delete information about you. The data is archived and not accessible by any other user. You can request deactivation or deletion by sending a message to email@example.com.
Third party links
The Services may contain links to and from third party websites of our Employer and Industry Partners or other Applicant Advantage Partners. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We also cannot be responsible for your personal data that you submit to employers using the Services. Please check their individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
Minors under 18 are not permitted to use our Site without express parental consent to both use the Services and be bound by our Terms of Service and this Policy. We do not intentionally collect information from minors under 13. If you believe we have collected any personal information from a child younger than 13 years of age, please notify us immediately firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take reasonable measures to remove that information from our systems.
GDPR: information for users
What rights do I have?
Individuals located in US have certain rights in respect of your personal information and Applicant Advantage will provide these capabilities to all our users, including:
- The right of access to your personal data;
- The right to correct or rectify any inaccurate personal data;
- The right to restrict or oppose processing of personal data;
- The right to erase your personal data;
- The right to personal data portability; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with the relevant authority.
As described in this Policy, when Applicant Advantage processes your data at your direction, we act as the processor and comply with requests they send us under GDPR. As a Applicant Advantage user:
- We rely on your consent as a lawful basis for processing personal data to provide you with marketing or promotional communications.
- We process personal data in order to provide you with services as requested, or to perform our contract with you as described in this document, including:
- To enable the Service to function as expected; and
- To communicate with you in response to customer service inquiries and to deliver non-promotional, service-related emails.
- Additionally, we process personal data based on our “legitimate interests” in providing you the Service as described in this document including:
- To provide you with opportunities from employers; and
- To administer surveys and questionnaires.
In some cases, Applicant Advantage may process personal information pursuant to a legal obligation or to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
How may I exercise my individual rights?
Applicant Advantage account holders may exercise their rights regarding their personal information as follows:
- You can access your personal data through your account settings in the Applicant Advantage platform or by contacting us to request a personal data report at email@example.com.
- You may withdraw your consent to receive cookies by adjusting your browser settings.
- You may withdraw your consent to receive opportunity notifications at any time by clicking the “Following” link found within Applicant Advantage Company Directory and changing your contact preferences. Please note, you will continue to receive essential account-related information, even if you unsubscribe from promotional emails.
- You can request deletion of your data as described in the section “De-Activating Your Account or Deleting Your Personal Data.”
Contact us and accessing your information
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, or if you wish to remove any of your personal information from our records, please contact us:
or login at Applicant Advantage